Sunday 21 July 2013

13/14th July 2013- Snowdonia

Saturday morning, I parked at Capel Curig and started walking on what was a very sunny and very hot day. After passing Plas-Y-Brenin I headed up the path up Mel Siabod. After my first load of sweating I reached the trig on the summit which had fantastic views of Snowdon, which looked closer than it actually was.
Snowdon from Moel Siabod
After the grassy descent to Pen-y-Gwryd I headed up the Miner's track to the pass between Glyder Fach and Y Foel Goch. At the pass I had some lunch and enjoyed my first good view of Tryfan. After eating I headed onto Glyder Fach where there seemed to be people everywhere. After admirring a stag party getting onto the cantilever stone I reached the summit and headed over to the higher summit (by 5 metres) Glyder Fawr.
Glyder Fach and Glyder Fawr
I reached the summit of Glyder Fawr and after scrambling off the rocky summit I headed down past Llyn Idwal where I got view of my next ascent of Pen yr Ole Wen. After going round Llyn Idwal and down to the road crossing I started the ascent up Pen yr Ole Wen. The ascent is a tough stretch with a lot of height gain in little distance but after some scrambling I made it to the top enjoying a rare breeze on a very hot day.
Pen yr Ole Wen
I carried on and made it to the top of Carnedd Dafydd and after talking to some very tired Welsh 3000er's, I decided to find a place to camp. I settled on a pitch on the grassy side of Cefn Ysgolion Duon. After pitching my tent I cooked my dinner and ate my cous cous with a great view of Tryfan, The Glyders and Snowdon in the background.
Pitch off Carnedd Dafydd
I woke early on Sunday and poked my head out the window to see it was looking like another pleasant morning. But after having breakfast and packing away, the cloud started to cover the top of Carnedd Llewellyn. I walked over to Carnedd Llewellyn which was in cloud cover and after reaching the top I walked to the top of Yr Elen.
Yr Elen
I walked back over the top of Carnedd Llewellyn and then down via Penywaun-wen. As I lost height I came out of the cloud and had it was another hot sunny day. I ascended up Pen yr Helgi Du after a little scramble reached the top and then up Pen Llithrig y Wrach to reah another summit with great views all around.
Pen yr Helgi Du
I walked off the top down to Llyn Cowlyd reservoir and after going a difficult way down due to the bracken and rocky slope, I reached the waterside. I walked round the reservoir and then started trudging up Creigiau Gleison. It seemed a long hot walk but I reached the northern top and then walked over the higher southern peak of Creigiau Gleison. I headed down the western slopes through long grass until reaching the bridleway which I followed back to Capel Curig.
Llyn Cowlyd
Trip Stats
Day 1 14.8miles 7370ft ascent
Day 2  12.8miles 3130ft ascent

No comments:

Post a Comment