Monday 23 November 2015

1st November 2015- White Rose Ultra


On Saturday evening I arrived at registration at the race Hq in Golcar to the west of Huddersfield and declared that I would do the 60 mile race as opposed to the 100, as I didn't feel motivated enough for it. So after registration I had a quick pint at the Golcar Lily and then slept in the warehouse of the race Hq.
It had been misty in the night for the 100 mile runners, but this had cleared and was turning out a sunny day. We set off with the 30 mile runners at 8am and the first miles ticked away as it does when talking away to other runners. The checkpoints were every 5 miles, with water and some basic snacks, but the water was well needed as it was a very hot day for November. The route followed trail, track and road and after the 15 mile checkpoint went round Pule hill and then down into Marsden along the road. It was then upto the Wessenden reservoirs and upto Wessenden head for the checkpoint. 
Wessenden Reservoir
From the checkpoint it WS along the road for a couple of miles with fantastic views of the valleys below. After another 8 miles it was the end of lap 1 and 30miles in about 5hr20. After a quick coke and a snack it was out again into the heat. It was a more lonely experience as I ticked off the miles meeting more people at checkpoints than runners. This let me focus on the route findings and I soon clocked up the miles and was at the checkpoint halfway round lap 2. I aimed to make it into Wessenden reservoirs before dark so pushed on. I managed to pass a few more runners before I made it to the checkpoint at the end of Wessenden reservoirs when it got dark. 
It was a brief stop at the checkpoint to sort out the headtorch and then continue by torchlight. Some of the markings were a little tricky in the dark but I managed to keep a steady pace and ended up finishing in a respectable time of 11:20.

No comments:

Post a Comment